The primary mission of the William Coburn Cox Library is to stimulate the intellectual curiosity of the individual student and to enrich the educational environment of the School by providing a comprehensive and up-to-date resource center. Our goals are:
- to support the academic curriculum with a carefully selected, well-balanced collection of traditional and electronic resources that offer access to information both within and outside of the library;
- to teach research skills and to support students in their research;
- to inspire creative and critical thinking; and
- to provide attractive, comfortable areas for scholarly research, quiet study, and recreational reading.
From 1929 until 1971 the Milton Academy Library was housed in Straus Library, the lovely Georgian structure on the north side of Centre Street. In a single school day in 1971, relays of students moved the entire library collection across the street to the newly completed Cox Library which was dedicated in honor of Mr. and Mrs. William Coburn Cox, friends and benefactors of Milton Academy. The three-story glass, concrete and brick building, designed by Shepley Bullfinch Richardson and Abbott and recently renovated by the same firm, provides a quiet academic environment for study, research and reflection for the entire Milton Academy community.