Welcome to the 2017–2018 school year and to the Parents’ Association! We are a self-sustaining organization dedicated to building community and fostering communication, and we hold several events for students and parents throughout the year. As an Upper School parent, you are automatically a member of the Upper School Parents’ Association (USPA), and welcome to attend our meetings, either in person or via dial-in. The meetings are a great way to learn about the school and get to know other parents. They feature a guest speaker from the faculty or administration, followed by discussion of USPA current events planning. Meetings will be held in the development office conference room on the second floor of the Caroline Saltonstall Building, at 7:00 p.m., on the following dates: Tuesdays, September 18, October 3, November 14, Monday, December 4, and Tuesdays, January 9, February 6, March 6, April 3, May 8, and June 5.
This year’s first USPA meeting on Tuesday, September 19, will feature David Ball, Upper School principal, and Katie Collins, from the Academic Skills Center, as our guests. Both are lively, engaging speakers. Mr. Ball will talk about the upcoming year, and Ms. Collins will explain the services available to students who might be experiencing challenges. Please attend if you can, or join us remotely. Details for remote attendance will be included in each month’s emailed meeting reminder.
In a few weeks, you will receive an email with a schedule of other Parents’ Association events for the year. This information is also found on Milton’s website. When you are on campus during the first couple days of school, please stop by our welcome table to learn about how you can get involved. Volunteering is a great way to meet and get to know fellow Milton parents.
The faculty, parent and student events sponsored by the USPA are made possible by your generous contributions of time, funding and gifts, as we are a self-sustaining organization, led by volunteer parents and supported primarily by parent dues and donations. Thank you!
There are many ways to stay informed about what’s happening on campus:
- This newsletter, Centre Connection, is published five times a year, listing upcoming events and activities.
- The Milton Academy website and calendar are updated daily, and include previews and photos of campus happenings in classes, arts, athletics, and around campus.
- The Parents’ Association webpage will update you on events, volunteer opportunities and other news.
- Two other informative and often-humorous sources of information are the School’s student newspapers, the Milton Measure and the Milton Paper. We encourage you to consider a subscription to one or both papers, which can come to you via regular mail, email or both.
Parents’ Weekend is October 12–14
Mark your calendars for Parents’ Weekend, October 12–14, when parents may shadow their child in classes, meet with teachers and advisors, and attend sports games and other events. Class parties are Thursday evening, and this year for the first time there will be a Class I/II Social in Pritzker. After classes Friday afternoon, join the Parents’ Association for an informal opportunity to meet, unwind and chat over wine and cheese. That social will be followed by an additional social just for boarding families in their respective dorms. Details on all to follow later in September.
Parents’ Association Board, 2017–2018
Please note we are still in search of parents to volunteer for key positions for Faculty and Staff Appreciation Day, Spring Fling and more! Please contact Ann Jenness (email@example.com) to help or learn more.
Executive Committee: Ann Jenness-President; Leah Goldberg-Vice President; Claire Walton- Treasurer; Co-Secretaries-Karen Falcone and Libby Albright
- Class I Representatives: TBD (Boarding) and Nina Panarese (Day)
- Class II Representatives: Michelle D’Ambrosio (Boarding) and Barbara Ehret (Day)
- Class III Representatives: Heidi DuBois (Boarding) and Jennifer Jordan (Day)
- Class IV Representatives: TBD (Boarding) and Anita Miraz (Day)
- Athletic Liaisons: John and Rosemary Sheehan
- Student Activities Liaisons: Jennifer Jordan and Meredith Hall
- Communications Liaison: Rachel Wohanka
- PIN Representatives: Christina Taborsky and Susanne Chiang
- Faculty/Staff Appreciation Brunch: TBD
- Spring Fling Event: TBD
Centre Connection, Milton's online newsletter for parents, is published five times each year through the efforts of the Milton Academy Communication Office and Parents' Association volunteers.