About our School:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located eight miles south of Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create the anti-racist environment at Milton—free from bias, injustice, and bigotry—that our values demand, we encourage each other to explore our own histories and identities, be open to learning from others, seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens, and strive to practice ways of interacting with one another that ensures all students and adults feel safe, supported, and able to express all aspects of their identities without judgment or hate.
In our dynamic community, we honor that Milton students challenge each other to build a foundation upon which to leave Milton and partner with their future communities to help create a more just world and in those spaces that are dissonant to our values, to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
Summary of Position:
The Development and Alumni Relations Office seeks an experienced, administrative professional to work closely with the Chief Advancement Officer (CAO) on all duties related to leading a team of 22 development professionals. The Senior Coordinator/Assistant to the CAO will work closely with Development and Alumni Relations directors, the Head of School, high-level volunteers including trustees, and other members of the development team. He/she will also lead a team of 3 coordinators in service to administrative projects within the office.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Chief Advancement Officer on all duties related to a comprehensive fundraising and engagement program.
- Support all aspects of front-line development work of the CAO and high-level school leaders (board members, Head of School, key volunteers) including visit preparation, appointment scheduling, travel arrangements, and post-meeting/event follow-up.
- Assist with correspondence to a variety of constituents but with a special focus on leadership-level donors and prospects: draft and edit gift proposals, thank you notes, school/campaign updates, general stewardship, and documentation.
Foster regular contact with and deepen relationships between the school and the board of trustee members through correspondence from the Chief Advancement Officer/Head of School; provide comprehensive staff support of the Development and Trustees Committees; facilitate board meeting preparation/development presentation support.
- Personalize the gift acknowledgment process for high-level gifts as needed.
- Handle schedule/calendar needs for the CAO.
- Assist with database needs ranging from running standard reports to performing data entry related to CAO gift and prospect activity.
- Manage specific budget activity for the CAO and oversee the budget for the entire development office; work closely with the Business Office on revenues/expenses and budget projections; process invoices and receipts as needed.
- Provide support to the CAO on human resource matters including supporting the onboarding of new colleagues.
- Lead a team of three administrative assistants; coordinate office-wide administrative projects.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor’s degree and have 8+ years of administrative or related experience. Candidates should have excellent interpersonal skills, excellent editing and proofreading skills, and strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills; have excellent organization and time-management skills with the ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks in a fast-paced work environment with minimal supervision. Preferred candidates will have strong computer skills, knowledge of Word, Excel, Raiser’s Edge, report writing, and a willingness to learn more.
Milton Academy welcomes candidates who would add to the racial, cultural and gender balance of the School community. Milton Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.