About our School:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located just outside of Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create an environment that confronts bias, injustice, and bigotry, we encourage each other to be open to learning, explore our histories and identities, and seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens. At Milton, we prepare students to partner with their future communities to create a more just world, and to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
Summary of Position:
The Associate Director for Administration partners with the Director and the other Associate Directors (Buildings, Grounds & Events) to achieve the Facilities Services department’s customer service, efficiency, and financial goals. The Associate Director ensures that the appropriate administrative policies and procedures are in place to ensure compliance with Milton Academy policies as well as a strong and responsive working relationship with vendors. The individual oversees administration, human resources, finance, and purchasing functions for the department as well as the school’s mailroom, receiving, and van services. The Associate Director also uses available reports and data to analyze and recommend improvements in the department’s processes, recommends tools / technology to improve operations, and communicates expectations within and outside the department. The Associate Director supervises the Operations and Finance Coordinator and the Purchasing and Mailroom Manager.
Qualified candidates will have an associate degree and at least 6 years of administrative experience. They will also work collaboratively and have a customer service orientation, as well as being comfortable working with a diverse and dynamic group of students, faculty, and staff. The ideal candidate will demonstrate effective, accurate, and clear communication with excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, customer service skills, and computer proficiency including GoogleSuite, Microsoft word, Microsoft excel, and Adobe.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and execute office administrative functions, including answering the phone, emails, vendor on-site activities, keys / lockshop, mailroom, receiving, and facilities purchasing.
- Ensure vendors and their associated contracts and insurance are appropriately managed and vetted; maintain appropriate policies and procedures and ensure that they are followed.
- Ensure responsive and efficient operation of the mailroom and delivery services, from U.S. mail to packages from other delivery vendors.
- Oversee the work order system, reporting, technology, and be responsive to complex issues and circumstances.
- Must be able to lift medium sized packages (up to 25 pounds).
Financial – Budget and Billing
- Ensure that all facilities-related purchases and activities are conducted in a budget-conscious manner.
- Serve as the budget manager for the facilities department’s central services and administration budgets.
- Monitor budget, oversee accounts payable, and manage credit card usage and reconciliation, and the petty cash process.
- Support facilities staff in liaising with the human resources office to address questions related to pay, vacation, and leave.
- Maintain the department’s time-off calendar.
- Assist the Associate Directors and Director in providing official training schedules and notices and coordinating professional development, including training completed in collaboration with the Campus Safety department.
- During business day carries a cell phone and/or uses facilities radio for coordinating rapid response.
- On evenings / weekends: member of on-call services team. On-call dates scheduled in advance, approximately one week per month (Monday through Sunday). Must be reachable 24/7 by phone; on-site presence may be required for major emergencies only.
Milton Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.