Milton Academy is seeking a full-time Campus Safety Officer. The schedule for this position will be nights, and weekends.
Summary of Position:
Campus Safety officers serve in a community-focused role to maintain and ensure the safety and security of students, faculty, and staff along with Academy-owned or used properties. They proactively identify and respond to and address community needs, representing the institution 24 hours/day and serving as a gateway to services, welcoming and directing visitors during the school day and at various events and athletic competitions. They also play an active role in documenting any incident on campus, and coordinating with law enforcement as needed. Officers are expected to build relationships with faculty, staff, and students, especially on-campus residents, and create a sense of familiarity and belonging.
Milton Academy will provide all professional development training needed to be successful in the role, and will ensure paid time to complete required certifications/trainings.
Excellent communication skills, including the ability to read and respond to written reports in English, are required for this position. The school also requires a valid driver’s license and ability to pass an insurance and driver’s record check.
- Conduct foot and mobile security patrols of all campus property, leveraging a thorough knowledge of all campus safety patrol sectors and buildings, including the school’s faculty housing units and geographical perimeter.
- Respond to all calls for service, including opening of doors on request. Address lockouts, escorts, noise complaints, etc., in a prompt, courteous, professional manner.
- Ensure compliance with school parking regulations through physical patrol of all parking lots and direction of traffic during high-volume periods, including student drop off and pick up
- Monitor door access and camera systems.
- Provide events management support for large and small events, athletic competitions, performances, etc.
- Identify issues, conclusions, etc. regarding incidents on campus, whether considered accidents or otherwise. Conduct initial investigation of incidents and file written reports as required; review shift reports and ensure follow up.
- Respond to all medical emergencies and provide emergency medical care as required. Contact emergency responders such as police, fire and/or ambulance as required.
- Manage active threat situations on campus.
- Serve as liaison with personnel form municipal fire and police department or other outside agencies during active incidents on or surrounding campus.
- Observe, investigate and report any safety or fire hazards present on campus.
- Enter maintenance requests to address life safety, regulatory, and/or maintenance needs identified during patrols.
- Respond to all maintenance and emergency calls and serve as a “liaison” with the facilities administrator on call after hours.
- Perform periodic inspections of emergency call boxes and street lights to ensure proper and safe functioning.
- Perform related assignments as requested by shift supervisor or director.
Preferred experience includes one+ years of security or related experience, formal security training and K-12, higher ed, and/or health care industry experience.
Candidate must be able to operate department computer and learn related software programs. This position involves extensive walking, stair climbing and skill driving a 12-passenger van.
A high school diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. A valid Massachusetts driver’s license is essential. Campus Safety Officers must pass a post-offer pre-employment exam as well as a driver’s record check.
Milton Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.