New to Zoom? No problem.
We understand new technology can feel overwhelming. The Office of Development and Alumni Relations is here to help you feel at ease while participating in your Reunion. Follow the steps below to learn some basic features of the Zoom platform using a laptop or desktop computer.
Downloading the Zoom platform
- Visit zoom.us/download
- Under the Zoom Client for Meetings section, click on the blue download button
- Click on the Zoom Installer box in the bottom left hand corner of your screen. This will automatically launch the installation on your computer
If you are interested in downloading Zoom on your mobile or tablet, click here for the Apple Store download, or click here for the Google Play download
Joining a Zoom meeting
- Click on the Zoom meeting link provided by the organizer. A new internet window will pop up with Zoom launching. If a meeting ID or password is required, input these details provided by the organizer when prompted
- If you are early to the meeting, you may see a screen that says Please wait for the host to start this meeting
- Once the host has started the meeting, you may be prompted to Enter your name and then click to Join the meeting. (If you already registered your Zoom account with your name, you may not receive this prompt)
- Click the blue button to Join with Computer Audio
- Click the lower left camera button Start Video
- You are now in the meeting room!
Adjusting your settings and background
If you need to adjust your audio, camera, or even your background image, you can do so through Settings.
- Open the Zoom platform, and click your profile photo on the top right of the program
- A menu will descend. Click Settings to access the settings menu
- From the settings menu, you can change your background image!
- Click Background & Filters on the left-hand menu
- You will see a menu of background images on the right-hand side
- To upload your own background, or perhaps one of the options offered below, first you must save your desired background image to your computer
- Once you have your background saved on your computer, click the small plus-sign icon above the menu of background images, and select Add Image
- From here, you can find the file location of your desired background on your computer, and select Open
- Your new background will be added to the menu. Make sure it’s selected, with a blue ring around it
- Background images work best with even lighting–not too bright and not too dark– in the foreground and background
- Pro-tip: You can also access this menu while you’re in your meeting, but it is best to have everything ready to go before you begin
Here are a few tips for making sure everyone has an enjoyable time at their Zoom gatherings!
- Use the video option when possible. This is a gathering of friends! Virtual Reunion works best when we can see each other.
- Dress like we’re at Milton, not in bed. Let’s face it, the temptation to keep it casual through the pandemic is ever-present. Dressing up helps this virtual Reunion feel more special.
- Stage your video area. Be mindful of what folks can see behind you.
- More light is better. It improves the video quality and makes sure your friends can see your beautiful face.
- Try to look into the camera. Looking into the camera gives the appearance of eye contact to the group.
- Do your own tech support before you start. If you’re new to Zoom, make sure to do a test run. You can test your audio and video at zoom.us/test.
- Stay on mute if you’re not talking. Background noise can be distracting. If you aren’t sharing anything at the moment, mute yourself by clicking the microphone in the lower-left corner of your screen.
- Keep Zoom links private. In order to prevent potentially inappropriate disruptions, don’t share Zoom links with others. Rest assured, we will provide meeting links to registrants.
Now that you’re a pro, you can share some of your favorite Milton spaces as your Zoom background! Click the thumbnails to access full-sized images, then right-click to save on your device.