About our school:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located eight miles south of Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in its students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Embracing diversity and the pursuit of excellence, we create a community in which individuals develop competence, confidence and character. Our active learning environment, in and out of the classroom, develops creative and critical thinkers, unafraid to express their ideas, prepared to seek meaningful lifetime success and to live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
Milton enrolls approximately 1,000 students each year: 725 boarding and day students in the Upper School, and 275 day students in Lower and Middle Schools. Representing the majority of the student population, with families from around the corner and across the world, the Upper School has unique and complex communication needs.
Summary of Position:
The Milton Academy Groundskeeper performs semi-skilled physical labor to clean, repair, improve, treat and maintain Milton Academy’s turf, shrubs, trees, flower beds, grounds and athletic fields while also providing physical support for the set up and dismantling of material and equipment for various scheduled and special events throughout the year. The individual in this position must work collaboratively with Facilities Services team and have a customer service orientation to working with students, faculty, and staff.
Tuesday through Saturday from 7:30 AM to 4 PM, generally; some flexibility required.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Cultivates, maintains, repairs and restores turf, athletic fields and trees through mowing, weeding, raking, aerating, de-thatching, seeding, mulching, pruning, fertilizing and other similar activities; observes, inspects and maintains campus irrigation systems.
- Measures, stakes, establishes and lays out lines on athletic fields for outdoor sports assemblies; maintains and repairs various outdoor athletic equipment including goals and batting cages.
- Transports, moves, loads, sets up and dismantles tables, chairs, platforms, materials and equipment in support of various events; hand picks, gathers, collects, loads and transports litter/debris from and about the Academy grounds.
- Participates in snow removal activities; drives vehicles and equipment with snowplows, brushes, blowers, salt/sand spreaders and shovels.
- Provides help and assistance as needed/requested by other grounds members.
- Operates, inspects and conducts regular maintenance and minor repairs to vehicles and grounds equipment.
- Other responsibilities assigned.
Required Experience and Abilities:
- Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds; must be able to work in the elements and extreme conditions; must know how to use a snow shovel.
- Ability to be flexible and work collaboratively. Ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks in a fast paced work environment. Must be receptive to supervision and professional development.
Milton Academy welcomes candidates who would add to the intellectual, racial, cultural, and gender diversity of the school community. Milton Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.