About our School:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located just outside Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create an environment that confronts bias, injustice, and bigotry, we encourage each other to be open to learning, explore our histories and identities, and seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens. At Milton, we prepare students to partner with their future communities to create a more just world and to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
Summary of Position:
The Lower School seeks a full-time Art and Woodworking teacher to begin in August 2023. We are looking for a teacher who is deeply committed to teaching and working with the lower school age group and has a passion for art and woodworking. In addition to outstanding teaching ability, we seek teachers who are inquisitive, self-directed, team-oriented, and dedicated to diversity, equity, and inclusion. A bachelor’s degree is required, and a concentration in art or woodworking is preferred, as is a degree in art or a related field. Teacher certification is not required. A minimum of three years of experience at the K-5 grade level is preferred.
The Lower School art/woodworking teacher will:
- teach art/woodworking to all Grades K-5
- manage classroom behavior, design curriculum, write student assessment reports, and differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all students
- collaborate effectively with classroom teachers, other specialists, and administrators
- create a safe and caring classroom environment
- have knowledge of a variety of 2D and 3D mediums
- develop essential skills in students, such as critical thinking, risk-taking, and collaboration
- be a part of additional supervisory duties throughout the week
Qualified candidates will have:
- demonstrated ability and skill with age-appropriate curriculum
- the ability to oversee the Grades K-5 art/ scope and sequence
Milton Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.