Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located just outside Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create an environment that confronts bias, injustice, and bigotry, we encourage each other to be open to learning, explore our histories and identities, and seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens. At Milton, we prepare students to partner with their future communities to create a more just world and to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
Summary of Position:
The Development and Alumni Relations Office seeks a Manager/Senior Manager of Donor Relations to actively support communication with, and cultivation of, past and current major donors to ensure trust, convey impact, and strengthen the connection to Milton, as well as contribute to a school-wide culture of gratitude. The Manager/Senior Manager will develop a strategic, thoughtful, and comprehensive donor relations program that includes gift agreements/acknowledgements, donor recognition (events, donor signage, external publicity), impact reporting, and other high-level stewardship touchpoints to promote donor participation, loyalty, and lifetime engagement. This position reports to the Director of Advancement Communications and Donor Relations.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Advance fundraising success through a robust, proactive, and donor-centric stewardship and donor relations program; enhance and expand a comprehensive and integrated effort that ensures donors experience high-quality interactions that foster engagement and investment.
- Build meaningful relationships with alumni, parents, and friends of Milton through consistent and personalized contact; actively support communication with, and cultivation of, past and current major donors to ensure trust, convey impact, and strengthen their connection to the school.
- Develop accurate and timely donor reports, including endowed fund market value reports, endowed fund impact reports (e.g. named scholar and chair reports), grant reports, online impact sites, and school priority reports using print, digital, and multi-media tools to reach distinct audiences. In partnership with Advancement Operations and Business Office colleagues, responsible for maintaining the accuracy and integrity of related database records.
- Partner with campus colleagues (academic departments, business office, athletics) to promote understanding of the importance and impact of philanthropy at Milton and to support storytelling and convey impact in ways that are meaningful and reflective of individual donors’ overall philanthropic and volunteer contributions. Responsible for stewardship of our trustees for their service and contributions to the school.
- Develop specific strategies to increase donor retention, upgrades, and acquisitions through creative and meaningful donor recognition programs and initiatives. Create new and support existing donor recognition societies for all levels of the giving spectrum, including annual and planned giving societies, as well as for special initiatives and campaigns. Oversee gifts and giveaway ordering and inventory for the division and serve as a resource for campus partners seeking ideas and counsel.
- In partnership with the Events Manager, design donor celebrations and events, including groundbreaking ceremonies and building dedications, high-impact campaign and campus stewardship events, special donor receptions, etc. Ensure appropriate follow up with donors is completed, which may include working with photographers and/or videographers to capture the essence of the celebrations, as well as procuring and assembling personal follow-up gifts. Ensure all donor communications are summarized and noted in our database following each event.
- Work closely with the Leadership Gifts team to ensure stewardship activities support emerging fundraising goals and to identify naming opportunities within the existing fundraising priorities. Create and maintain a management system for named spaces and oversee the creation and installation of donor recognition pieces, including plaques.
- Oversee donor correspondence, including gift acknowledgements and occasion-based outreach, ensuring donors are recognized appropriately relative to their contributions to the school.
Manager: 3-5 years of professional development experience, ideally at an educational institution or non-profit
Senior Manager: 6-8 years of professional development experience, ideally at an educational institution or non-profit
Preferred experience leading or supporting a donor relations/stewardship program.
Milton Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.