About our School:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located just outside Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create an environment that confronts bias, injustice, and bigotry, we encourage each other to be open to learning, explore our histories and identities, and seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens. At Milton, we prepare students to partner with their future communities to create a more just world and to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
About the Position:
Milton Academy seeks a full-time Middle School Athletic Director to provide sabbatical coverage for the 2023-2024 school year. We are looking for an athletic director who is deeply committed to and working with the middle school age group and has a passion for developing a dynamic athletics program. In the Middle School, we seek faculty and staff who are inquisitive, self-directed, team-oriented, and dedicated to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
A bachelor’s degree is required and a concentration in health and wellness is expected. A minimum of three years of experience at the 5-8 grade level is required.
Roles and responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership for all aspects of the middle school athletics program while collaborating with colleagues to align program goals with the school’s mission.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate all coaches while providing clear expectations, oversight, and useful feedback and support.
- Manage all administrative details associated with interscholastic and intramural programs; Including budgeting, scheduling, arranging transportation, setting up officials for games, and ensuring adequate set-up of facilities.
- Coordinate, communicate and confirm with commissioners for each sport to secure officials for all home contests.
- Coordinate and communicate with the Upper School Athletic Director in all areas that relate to the afternoon program
- Effectively communicate program values, policies, and information to families and students at the beginning of year, each season, and through assembly gatherings.
- Work with the Equipment Managers in keeping an accurate inventory of equipment, assess needs, and order equipment and uniforms each season
- Collaborate and communicate with athletic training staff, middle school counselor, deans/advisor, parents, on any injuries, concussions, social/emotional issues that may arise, or any other health concerns.
- Serve as event/game manager on all Game Days; ensure buses are on time, greet officials and opponents, ensure that all contests run smoothly, available for any issues or problems that arise on game day.
- Plan and organize mud weeks between seasons
Additional duties typically include advising, supervising students, leading extracurricular activities, participating in faculty meetings and professional development.
Qualified candidates will possess excellent communication and writing skills and technological proficiency is assumed. Flexibility, creativity, a sense of humor, and strong work ethic and a commitment to being a strong team member are all critically important. Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse community is essential.
Milton Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.