Milton Academy, established in 1798, is an independent coeducational national boarding and day school, serving 1,000 students in grades K-12, on a 125-acre campus eight miles south of Boston.
The Middle School at Milton Academy is seeking a full-time Middle School Music Teacher to begin in September 2019.
The Middle School Music Teacher will direct a chorus, teach a foundational instrumental course for beginners and coordinate performance opportunities for the middle school community. Additional teaching at the Upper School may include teaching vocal or instrumental sectionals and coach an acapella group. We are looking for someone who is deeply committed to teaching adolescents and who will provide students with a rigorous music education while also fostering the joy that results from students discovering their voice. The Middle School music teacher will report to the Middle School Principal.
Expectations and Duties:
- Direct the Middle School Chorus
- Teach beginner students’ foundational technique on a musical instrument
- Collaborate with Middle School Principal and Dean of Students to create student engagement around music
- Collaborate with music teachers in the Lower and Upper Schools to maintain cross-divisional curriculum
- Coordinate with private music teachers to provide students with a coherent instructional program
- Engage in co-curricular music activities on campus
- Engage in additional school-wide duties including lunch/recess duty and study hall coverage.
- Advise a group of 8 students
- Support the social-emotional learning and growth of students
A bachelor’s degree is required and a concentration in music is expected. A Master’s degree in music, music education, or a related field is preferred. Three years of classroom experience including experience planning, rehearsing, and directing musical experiences for students is also preferred.
Qualified candidates will have demonstrated skills in differentiating instruction and incorporating multiculturalism in their teaching. Flexibility, creativity, a joy for working with children, a strong work ethic, and a commitment to being a collaborative team member within the faculty are all critically important. A qualified candidate will also possess excellent communication and writing skills; technological proficiency is assumed.
Milton Academy welcomes candidates who would add to the racial, cultural and gender balance of the School community. Milton Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.