Milton Academy is an independent coeducational national boarding and day school, serving 1,000 students in grades K-12 eight miles south of Boston.
The Cox Library seeks a Library Assistant who will become part of the Library Department Team. This position will report to the Director of the Cox Library and assist the other librarians in their work.
Essential Job Functions
- Carry out specialized and routine clerical tasks such as data entry, preparing reports, ordering materials and supplies, and answering the telephone, providing advice and directing calls.
- Assist in locating desired materials in local and other accessible collections and answer student and faculty questions.
- Encourage the appropriate use of library facilities.
- Help establish and maintain a high customer service performance standard.
- Maintain the library collection by cataloguing and processing all new acquisitions, deaccessioning materials and performing inventory.
- Perform circulation desk duties including checking collection materials in and out, placing items on reserve and answering patron account questions.
- Work with the librarians to develop displays and assist with library programs.
- Prepare statistical and other reports regarding library operations and use, including the annual report.
Other Job Functions
- Open the library every morning, unlocking all doors and ensuring the space is ready for student use.
- Keep the collection properly organized by shelving books and helping rearrange the collection as space usage changes.
- Perform other tasks which assist in the use and proper care of the library and its resources and as may be assigned.
- Assist in maintaining the Cox Library social media presence.
- Work with and oversee student community service volunteers on assigned projects.
- Be available to work occasional evening and weekend hours.
- Provide cataloging and some clerical support to the Lower School Library and Librarian.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability
- Is able to work with a minimum of supervision individually as well as with others and regularly takes personal initiative to execute work responsibilities.
- Works in a pleasant and effective manner with everyone in the Milton Academy community.
- Performs many routine and some specialized work in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Has a working knowledge of computers and is able to learn and use products that range from Microsoft Office and Photoshop to specialized library catalog software.
- Enjoys reading and using materials commonly found in libraries and helping others of all ages enjoy and use library resources.
Minimum Training and Experience
- A candidate for this position must have graduated from college and demonstrate facility with computers.
Preferred Training and Experience
- The preferred candidate will already have school library, public library or related information services experience and prior computer training on, and experience with, specialized programs.