Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located just outside Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create an environment that confronts bias, injustice, and bigotry, we encourage each other to be open to learning, explore our histories and identities, and seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens. At Milton, we prepare students to partner with their future communities to create a more just world and to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.
Summary of Position: The Cox Library seeks an evening Library Assistant working Monday-Thursday (4PM – 10PM) during the academic year. This position will report to the Director of the Cox Library.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain the library collection by cataloging and processing all new acquisitions, deaccessioning materials and performing inventory.
- Perform circulation desk duties including checking collection materials in and out, placing items on reserve and answering patron account questions.
- Assist in locating desired materials in local and other accessible collections and answer student and faculty questions.
- Work with the librarians to develop displays and assist with library programs.
- Carry out specialized and routine clerical tasks such as data entry, preparing reports, ordering materials and supplies, and answering the telephone, providing advice and directing calls.
- Help establish and maintain a high customer service performance standard.
- Prepare statistical and other reports regarding library operations and use, including the annual report.
Other Job Functions
- Encourage the appropriate use of library facilities.
- Keep the collection properly organized by shelving books and helping rearrange the collection as space usage changes.
- Perform other tasks which assist in the use and proper care of the library and its resources and as may be assigned.
- Assist in maintaining the Cox Library social media presence.
- Provide cataloging and some clerical support to the Lower School Library and Librarian.
- Ensure the library is ready for opening in the morning.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability
- Is able to work with a minimum of supervision individually as well as with others and regularly takes personal initiative to execute work responsibilities.
- Has a working knowledge of computers and is able to learn and use products that range from Microsoft Office and Photoshop to specialized library catalog software.
- Enjoys reading and using materials commonly found in libraries and helping others of all ages enjoy and use library resources.
Preferred Training and Experience
The preferred candidate will already have school library, public library or related information services experience and prior computer training on, and experience with, specialized programs.
Milton Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.