Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located eight miles south of Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create the anti-racist environment at Milton—free from bias, injustice, and bigotry—that our values demand, we encourage each other to explore our own histories and identities, be open to learning from others, seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens, and strive to practice ways of interacting with one another that ensure all students and adults feel safe, supported, and able to express all aspects of their identities without judgment or hate.
In our dynamic community we honor that Milton students challenge each other to build a foundation upon which to leave Milton and partner with their future communities to help create a more just world and in those spaces that are dissonant to our values, to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
Summary of Position:
Milton Academy is seeking a full-time counselor for an opening in the Health and Counseling Center in the Upper School beginning September 2021.
- Provide individual therapy to students: a combination of short and long term evidenced-based modalities
- Provide culturally appropriate, consultative, clinical, and outreach services grounded in multicultural anti-racist frameworks and treatment modalities
- Participate in a regular on-call schedule as part of our team of four clinicians: generally, one night a week, and about one weekend a month
- Provide thorough safety assessments and accompany students who potentially need hospitalization to Boston Children’s Hospital Emergency Room
- Collaborate with the counseling team, health care providers, parents, administrators, faculty, dorm staff, and off-campus providers
- Communicate closely with Academic Skills Center faculty in consultation and collaboration to support students who need counseling and academic support
- Meet multiple times a week in group supervision with the Director of Counseling, counselors, and the consulting Psychiatrist
- Serve as a dorm-affilate counselor. The counselor will meet with two Dorm Heads on a regular basis in order to provide consultation in relation to supporting students in their respective dorms
- Oversee specific student leadership programs (such as Peer Discussion Groups or Human Sexuality and Relationships).
- Serve as an Academic Advisor for 5-8 students
- Attend all faculty meetings and training sessions
This position requires an advanced degree in social work or clinical psychology and a valid Massachusetts license to practice therapy (LICSW, LMHC, PsyD, or Ph.D.) Experience providing CBT, DBT, and trauma-informed individual therapy with adolescents and must possess strong clinical skills: Assessment and diagnosis, treatment planning, etc. Must also have working knowledge of psychopharmacological medications.
Milton Academy welcomes candidates who would add to the racial, cultural, and gender balance of the School community. Milton Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Milton Academy, established in 1798, is an independent coeducational boarding and day school, serving 1,000 students in grades K–12, on a 125-acre campus eight miles south of Boston.