About our School:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located just outside Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create an environment that confronts bias, injustice, and bigotry, we encourage each other to be open to learning, explore our histories and identities, and seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens. At Milton, we prepare students to partner with their future communities to create a more just world and to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
About the Position:
Milton Academy is seeking a full-time learning specialist for an opening in the Academic Skills Center in the Upper School beginning August 2023. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of experience working with students with documented learning profiles, preferably in a school setting. A bachelor’s degree in special education or a related field is required, and a master’s degree is preferred. Teacher certification is not required. We welcome candidates eager to collaborate with other faculty members to support their ability to deliver effective and differentiated classroom instruction. Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse community is essential.
- Learning Specialist:
- Provide skill and strategy instruction in one-to-one meetings using research-based practices
- Interpret and summarize diagnostic evaluations; use them to develop and deliver individualized student learning guides
- Maintain confidential student records and submit accommodation applications to the College Board and ACT
- Coordinate assessment administration for students with accommodations
- Establish contact with advisors, teachers, families, and outside providers to foster a team approach to student support
- Communicate closely with the Counseling Center team in consultation and collaboration
- Community Participation:
- Actively participate in greater community enrichment activities (act as a faculty sponsor to a student club, athletic coaching, affinity group advisor, etc.)
- Attend all community events, including assemblies and all school programming
- Assume supervisory responsibilities as assigned
- Student Life:
- Serve as an advisor to a group of up to 7 students
- Facilitate and oversee weekend programming when on-duty and supervise recreational activities both on and off campus as assigned
- Residential Life Program (if housed):
- Dorm parent or equivalent
Milton Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.