About our School:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located just outside Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create an environment that confronts bias, injustice, and bigotry, we encourage each other to be open to learning, explore our histories and identities, and seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens. At Milton, we prepare students to partner with their future communities to create a more just world and to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
About the Position:
Milton Academy is seeking a full-time Upper School math teacher to begin in August 2023. The ideal candidate will have a deep knowledge of mathematics and a joy in promoting its understanding to heterogeneous student groups and will enjoy engaging with colleagues. We seek a candidate with interest and experience in teaching statistics who can teach across the whole curriculum, from foundational high school courses to advanced, college-level courses. The department is actively working to decolonize mathematics education, build culturally responsive classrooms, and improve equity and access to the field of mathematics for all students. Therefore, the ideal candidate will commit to various professional development opportunities to further these goals. We welcome candidates with an active interest in cultivating skills and practice in facilitating differentiated classroom instruction, a demonstrated and ongoing commitment to anti-racist pedagogy and justice-facing curriculum design, and expertise as a thoughtful educator.
- Teach four classes focused in the Math department.
- Plan, develop and implement an engaging Math curriculum that incorporates elements of culture and diversity.
- Creates a classroom environment that provides for student involvement in the learning process.
- Routinely incorporate real-life applications of content into the delivery of instruction.
- Provide students in the classroom with ongoing, meaningful and substantive feedback.
- Document and communicate student academic progress to students, parents and advisors.
- Serve as an advisor to a group of up to 7 students.
- Community/Student Life
- Actively participate in greater community enrichment activities outside of a typical school day (sponsor student clubs, coach athletic teams, advise affinity groups, etc.)
- Assume supervisory and responsibilities as assigned, including some weekend chaperone duties.
- Faculty members residing on campus typically live and work in a dormitory, and all have responsibilities in the residential program on evenings and weekends.
Milton Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.