Summary of Position:
In addition to performing standard lifeguard duties, Waterfront Director will be responsible for scheduling work hours of other lifeguards, planning and orchestrating swim lessons, and maintaining a safe pool environment. Candidates must be able to ensure patron safety by minimizing or eliminating potentially hazardous situations or behaviors. This person must be able to solve on-the-job problems using effective critical thinking and decision-making skills, as well as work with diverse populations. The Waterfront Director must be able to enforce pool policies as well as effectively communicate why policies are in place.
Waterfront Director Job requirements and Responsibilities:
- Assessing swimmers to assign swim lesson groups.
- Organizing the work schedule to ensure that all lessons and free swim periods are sufficiently staffed.
- Oversee lessons to make sure that they are engaging, safe, and well planned.
- Report to camp director with any supply needs, scheduling difficulties, or behavioral issues.
- Supervises aquatics activities and ensures that policies, guidelines, and safety procedures are followed.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work autonomously.
- Warns swimmers of inappropriate activities or dangers and enforces pool regulations and water safety policies.
- Provides first aid in the event of an injury, rescues swimmers in distress or in danger of drowning, and, if necessary, performs CPR and/or artificial respiration.
- Evaluates conditions for safety and, if necessary, initiates an aquatic emergency action plan.
- Inspects pool facilities, equipment, and water to ensure that they are safe and usable.
- Supervises and assists in the cleaning of the pool and related facilities and equipment; assists with chlorine residual water tests and with the keeping of records and charts of water tests and accident records; and adds chemicals to pool water as directed.
- Instructs or assists classes in fundamentals of swimming as needed.
- Resolves scheduling conflicts to ensure a safe pool environment when competing programs or priorities necessitate the use of aquatic facilities.
- Other duties as assigned.