How to Apply
Milton Academy welcomes boarding applications for admission to Grades 9, 10 and 11. Students in the Greater Boston area may apply for day student status in Grades 9 and 10. Once admitted as a boarding or day student, a student may not change status except in special circumstances.
During the first phase of the selection process, admission officers read each application in a “need blind” review that does not consider a candidate’s ability to pay as a factor in their evaluations. However, the final phase of the selection process is “need aware,” as the admission committee weighs its decisions against available financial aid funds. Milton Academy strives to meet 100 percent of the demonstrated need of each candidate offered admission. Please see the Financial Aid portion of our website for more information.
Schedule an Appointment
At this time we are fully booked for interviews. If you would like to be added to our interview waitlist, please complete this form. We will contact you should an interview appointment become available.
Please note: All completed applications will be reviewed. The Admission Office will follow up as needed.
Explore Milton any time by taking a virtual tour of our campus.
Register for Standardized Test
All candidates for admission are welcome, but not required, to submit the results of standardized testing. Students who are unable to submit test scores will not be disadvantaged in the application process. Testing should be completed during the current academic year and before the January 15 deadline.
- Academic Testing – all applicants:
- Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT) – School code: 5098 or
- Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE) – School code: 221430
- SSAT, ISEE, PSAT, SAT-1 or ACT – may be submitted for applicants to grade 11
- For non-native English speakers, and/or students who have not been at a school where English is the primary language of instruction for at least two years, we strongly suggest submitting results from one of the following:
- TOEFL (school code: 8125)
Candidates for admission to the Upper School at Milton should apply online using the Gateway to Prep Schools application or the SSAT Standard Application. (Note: For admission to Lower School or Middle School, please go to the Lower and Middle School Admission webpage.) The completed application is due by January 15 to ensure a March 10 decision and is comprised of three parts:
- Biographic Profile – begins the application and should be submitted well in advance of the January 15 deadline.
- Application Fee – a non-refundable application fee of $65 for domestic applicants or $125 USD for international applicants must be submitted online. Fee waivers are available if the fee represents a financial hardship. Please contact the Office of Admission for details.
- Short Answers and Essays – submitted online
- Parent Statement – submitted online
- Graded Writing Sample – submitted online
- Recommendations – submitted online by current teachers/administrator
- School Administrator Recommendation – required
- English Teacher Recommendation – required
- Math Teacher Recommendation – required
- Personal Recommendation – optional
- Special Interest Recommendation – optional
- Transcripts – required:
- Current Fall term or semester grades
- Final grades for the past two years
- An Application Checklist account will be created for you upon receipt of your application.
- The Office of Admission will send you an email with a link to create a password and complete the setup of your account.
- Once setup is complete, you can track the status of your application here:
Note: Please allow 3–5 business days for processing application documents.
Register for and take standardized test
January 15, 2024
January 31, 2024
Financial Aid deadline
March 10, 2024
April 10, 2024
Candidate reply deadline