How to Apply
Milton Academy welcomes boarding applications for admission to Grades 9, 10 and 11. Students in the Greater Boston area may apply for day student status in Grades 9 and 10. Once admitted as a boarding or day student, a student may not change status except in special circumstances.
During the first phase of the selection process, admission officers read each application in a “need blind” review that does not consider a candidate’s ability to pay as a factor in their evaluations. However, the final phase of the selection process is “need aware,” as the admission committee weighs its decisions against available financial aid funds. Milton Academy strives to meet 100 percent of the demonstrated need of each candidate offered admission. Please see the Financial Aid portion of our website for more information.
To begin your conversation with Milton Academy, complete and submit the Request Information form.
Schedule an Interview
A visit to Milton’s campus is an essential part of the application process. Your visit includes a personal tour with a student guide followed by an interview with a member of the admission committee. Please allow two hours for your tour and interview.
Department chairs, coaches and program directors are often available to meet with you during your visit. If you are interested in such a meeting, please inform the Office of Admission when scheduling your campus visit.
An interview is required for all admission candidates and must be completed by January 15 to ensure a March 10 decision.
If you are unable to visit Milton, you may request a Skype interview or, in some cases, an off-campus interview with an admission officer.
Please call the Office of Admission at 617-898-2227 to schedule your interview.
Register for Standardized Test
All candidates for admission are required to submit the results of standardized testing. Testing must be completed during the current academic year and before the January 15 deadline.
- Academic Testing – all applicants
- Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT) – required for applicants to grades 9 or 10. School code: 5098*
- SSAT, PSAT or SAT-1 – required for applicants to grade 11
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – required for applicants for whom English is not the first language. School code: 8125*
* SSAT and TOEFL score reports must be sent directly to Milton from the test centers.
Candidates for admission to the Upper School at Milton should apply online using the Gateway to Prep Schools application. (Note: For admission to Lower School or Middle School, please go to the K–8 How to Apply webpage.) The completed application is due by January 15 to ensure a March 10 decision and is comprised of three parts:
- Candidate Profile – begins the application and should be submitted well in advance of the January 15 deadline.
- Application Fee – a non-refundable application fee of $50 for domestic applicants or $100 USD for international applicants must be submitted online. Fee waivers are available if the fee represents a financial hardship. Please contact the Office of Admission for details.
- Recommendations – submitted online by current teachers
- School Administrator Recommendation – required
- English Teacher Recommendation – required
- Math Teacher Recommendation – required
- Personal Recommendation – optional
- Special Interest Recommendation – optional
- Transcript – submitted directly by school; required
- Current Fall term or semester grades
- Final grades for the past two years
An Application Checklist account will be created upon receipt of your application. The Office of Admission will send you an email with a link to create a password and complete the setup of your account.
Once setup is complete, click on the link below to log in and view your application checklist.
Note: Please allow 3–5 business days for processing application documents.
September – January
Interview and visit campus
October – January
Register for and take standardized test
January 15, 2017
January 31, 2017
Financial Aid deadline
March 10, 2017
Admission decisions mailed
April 10, 2017
Candidate reply deadline