View photos of Milton’s ski team at the 2020 NEPSAC Championship.
About the Program
The ski team trains at Blue Hill, which is about 10 minutes from campus. The main (race) hill is short (officially 360 vertical feet), but has a good pitch for slalom training and adequate length to train giant slalom. Milton trains four days a week after school and races on Wednesdays. All our races are held at Nashoba Valley, and are against other ISL schools. The team also participates in the New England Class B championship races every year in February.
The team focuses on providing coaching and training that will challenge the experienced racer while at the same time providing for the development of skiers who are new to racing. Approximately 75 percent of the team learns to race with Milton’s program on Blue Hill. The remaining 25 percent work on honing skills learned from their participation in weekend race training. In recent years, many on the team have taken advantage of summer training opportunities on Mt. Hood, Oregon. To be on the race team at Milton, you do not need to have raced previously. On the other hand, the program has, in recent years, provided coaching and development to several FIS skiers, who continue to race on the weekends while training with Milton and benefiting from a first-rate educational environment. The focus of our training is to provide each skier with training drills and coaching that will help that skier develop in both technique and confidence.
Ski Team History
Skiing became a varsity sport at Milton in 1970, and since 1980 has fielded boys’ and girls’ teams at both varsity and JV levels. The girls’ team was New England Class B champions in 2002, as well as ISL champions in 2002 and 2010. The boys’ team has won the ISL championship for three years, and won the New England Class B Championship in 2001 and 2002.
The girls’ team had an undefeated first place finish in the ISL and a second place finish at the New England Class B Championships in 2010 and 2011. The boys’ team also has an elite and skilled team in both GS and SL. Both teams are returning strong athletes in all grades who are capable of placing in the top fifteen in any event. In addition, each team has a number of younger skiers who are expected to move up quickly in the rankings. Both the boys’ and girls’ JV teams were at the top of the ISL rankings the last few years, and should continue to provide a steady stream of developing racers to take the place of graduating seniors.
Coaches and Captains
Head Coach: Patrick Broome
Assistant Coach: Mark Goodrich
Captains: Abigail Borggaard ’20, Will Livingston ’20, Beck Kendig ’20
1st Team Schedule and Results